Salt Lake Community College seeks to attract an active, culturally and academically diverse faculty of the highest caliber, skilled in the scholarship of teaching, discovery, application, and integration of knowledge. The successful applicant will join a vital and innovative department as its members are reflective practitioners and knowledgeable teachers in their respective fields. They participate in their professional communities, and collaborate with colleagues in developing curriculum. Such faculty members actively serve our students in successfully obtaining the skills and knowledge needed to be successful in their careers.
The SLCC Chemistry Department offers a program leading to an Associate of Science degree. Required courses and laboratory instruction in this program provides the student the first two years of chemistry and related courses required for admission to baccalaureate major programs. Program also provides a solid foundation in chemistry necessary for admission to professional programs and for employment in chemistry-related areas.
Under general supervision will prepare and teach chemistry courses. Cooperate with other Department members to coordinate and organize demonstration and lecture materials for common use. Coordinate teaching activities with lab instructors. Faculty member may be assigned to any SLCC location.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Effectively prepare and teach Chemistry courses offered by the department to facilitate student learning.
- Assess and maintain student performance records.
- Develop, revise, distribute and adhere to current course outlines and/or syllabi
- Integrate technology into Chemistry courses including instructional delivery in an online format.
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings and workshops
- Participate in curriculum development and textbook selection
- Demonstrate and support professional commitment to Department and College mission and Values
- Maintain a supportive attitude toward work, students, colleagues and administration.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office/consultation hours.
- Pursue professional development activities and contribute to the Department policies and procedures.
- Serve on Department, School, and/or College committees as needed to assist in policy development, curriculum development, procedures, or other matters that benefit the Department, School or College.
- Administer student evaluation surveys in classes, as prescribed by Department /College procedures, and discussing results with Associate Dean.
- Attend New Faculty Orientation sessions as required.
- Adhere to college policies and procedures and department guidelines.
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings and accept committee assignments.
- Advise students on program and course requirements and maintain regularly scheduled consultation hours.
- Demonstrate professional commitment to Department, and College mission and values.
- Maintain a supportive attitude toward work, students, colleagues and administration, and with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Teaching experience preferred in general and organic chemistry courses.
- Two (2) years full-time teaching experience with demonstrated strength in teaching community college courses.
- Teaching experience in related and interdisciplinary courses.
- Technology literate and innovative, teaching and development experience with on-line course.
- Masters Degree (or verification of completion of degree requirements by the time of employment) in chemistry or a closely related discipline from an accredited college or university required.
- Teaching experience in college and university chemistry.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, culture, ethnic background, and abilities, to maintain good working relationships across the College.
- The ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities and special needs.
The committee will select final candidates for a classroom teaching demonstration.
The SLCC HR Dept will conduct criminal background checks on the selected finalist. In addition, official transcripts from the selected finalist are required before offering employment.
SLCC offers a comprehensive benefits package for FT Faculty members. More Information can be found at: http://i.slcc.edu/hr/benefits/full-time-employees.aspx
Required Documents for Application: Please attach a copy of your transcripts and resume/curriculum vitae for the committee to review. Additional documents for the committee to review are encouraged.