The Department of Mathematics in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics at Eastern Washington University ( EWU) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics with a preference for Computational Mathematics to begin September 2017.
Responsibilities to include:
- Curriculum development at the undergraduate level
- Active participation in scholarly activities
- Active participation in service activities
- All faculty members are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning
- Additionally, faculty may be expected to teach face to face classes, hybrid or blended classes and/or online classes
The Department of Mathematics offers a B.S. degree in Mathematics that includes electives that allow for a variety of specializations including Statistics, as well as B.A.E. degrees in Secondary or Elementary Mathematics Education. A Graduate Certificate for a Middle-Level Mathematics Endorsement is also offered.
About Eastern Washington UniversityEastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, or Applied Mathematics or closely related field must be conferred no later than the date of appointment (09/16/2017).
- College level teaching experience (may include teaching as a graduate assistant).
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in teaching.
- Demonstrated potential for scholarship.
Additionally, candidate must demonstrate and interest, experience and/or ability to promote cultural competency and/or diversity.
Preferred Qualifications:Preference may be given to candidates who offer more experience in any of the following:
- Extensive experience with high level computational mathematics.
- Experience with applications of mathematics in industry or the sciences
- Teaching experience at the college level beyond teaching as a graduate assistant.
- Experience in mentoring undergraduate students for undergraduate research projects.