The GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist and Center Director will support the Lamar Geospatial Center (LGC) by developing and teaching remote sensing classes and workshops, as well as GIS and GPS classes including those supporting GIS Certification, a Minor in GIS when required; and, eventual development of a Masters in Geospatial Science . This person will lead the day-to-day operations of the LGC and projects associated with it, including database management, submission of reports, and the writing of grant proposals pertaining to the LGC. Note that funded research and presentations/publications are also expected duties of the successful candidate. A track record of funded projects is desirable.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Develops and teaches workshops related to remote sensing and geospatial technology.
2. Develops and teaches academic remote sensing and GIS classes offered for credit toward GIS Certification, a GIS Minor, and Masters in Geospatial Sciences through Lamar University.
3. Manages people responsible for the collection of data, data entry, data conversion and data organization of LGC geospatial products.
4. Performs data verification and QA/QC for LGC geospatial projects.
5. Generates reports, maps and other technical documents in support of LGC geospatial projects.
6. Writes research proposals, makes presentations, and publishes research results.
7. Promotes the Lamar Geospatial Center to the community.
1. Knowledge of multiple operating systems and remote sensing/geospatial software applications, particularly the ESRI suite of ArcGIS software products and common extensions on a Windows operating system.
2. Ability to provide technical support to clients for remote sensing, GIS and GPS related hardware and software issues.
3. Highly skilled in collecting, processing, editing and manipulating geospatial data.
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
5. Ability to effectively lead a team of geospatial specialists.
A Geoscience or Planetary Science related Ph.D. degree specializing in Remote Sensing, or GIS/Geospatial Science is required.
Applicant must have at least 3 years of increasingly responsible Remote Sensing and GIS project management experience. Field experience with GPS units, and post-processing knowledge, is important. Thorough knowledge of Remote Sensing, GIS and GPScomputer applications is expected.
Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit https://jobs.lamar.edu/
Lamar University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Lamar University not to discriminate on the basis of non-relevant criteria including, but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, admissions or employment practices.