The Department of Biology in the College of Arts and Sciences at Clayton State University is seeking applicants for an Assistant Professor of Biology position. The position is an academic year, tenure-track appointment that reports to the Chair of the Department of Biology. The successful candidate will be expected to begin on August 1, 2018. Salary will be commensurate with experience and competitive with comparable programs. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of authorization to work in the U.S. will be required at the time of hire.
Part of the University System of Georgia, Clayton State University is located 15 minutes from downtown Atlanta in a beautiful lakeside setting. Clayton State University is nationally recognized as a leader in the use of information technology to transform teaching, learning, and other aspects of the collegiate experience. For additional information about the Department of Biology, visit http://www.clayton.edu/biology
- A doctoral degree in Biology (ABD candidates will be considered) or other related discipline.
- Ability to teach a wide range of biology courses and labs
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Successful college teaching experience
- Ability and desire to teach organismal biology courses (including Human Anatomy and Physiology, Animal Physiology and Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy)
- A research background that complements the existing diversity of expertise of the faculty of the Department of Biology
- Experience with diverse student populations
- A commitment to diversity
- Experience and/or enthusiasm for mentoring undergraduate students in research projects
- Experience in and ability to utilize technology in teaching and/or implementing courses using the internet
- Experience with innovative, evidence-based teaching practices that support the recommendations of Vision & Change in Undergraduate Biology Education
Minimum Education Requirements
The candidate must have a doctorate in Biology or related discipline (ABD candidates will be considered).
- Teach the introductory biology sequences (biology majors and non-majors), comparative vertebrate anatomy, human anatomy and physiology, animal physiology and upper-level biology courses in area of expertise.
- Engage in scholarly activity leading to presentation and publication.
- Develop proposals to support projects in undergraduate research and/or science education or have the ability to perform collaborative research at other institutions.
- Develop courses in your area of expertise.
- Participate in service to Department, School, University and community.
- Serve as a career mentor for biology students.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Underrepresented groups, including women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, unofficial transcripts of grades, and the contact information for three current references. Application procedures can be found here: https://clayton.peopleadmin.com/