Status: Full Time, Exempt, Academic-Year appointment
Paul Smith’s College of Arts and Sciences is seeking a unique individual with a passion for teaching at a school renowned for experiential education. The Natural Science department invites applicants for a full-time appointment as Assistant Professor of Chemistry starting in the fall of 2017. As the only baccalaureate college in the Adirondack Park, Paul Smith’s provides educational opportunities in a place of exceptional natural beauty. Year round recreational activities are readily available on campus and all around it.
Paul Smith’s College is an equal opportunity employer which promotes a diverse and inclusive work environment. Applicants with diverse perspectives and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Description: Primary teaching responsibilities will include teaching chemistry lecture courses to students in a diverse collection of programs including Biology, Fish and Wildlife Sciences, Environmental Science and Forestry. The successful candidate will assess the courses taught, develop learning outcomes and play a major role in developing and teaching laboratory courses. The position provides an opportunity to mentor student-guided research and possibly collaborate with the Paul Smith’s College Adirondack Watershed Institute.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach lecture courses in General, Organic and Environmental Chemistry
- Supervise and teach laboratories associated with General and Organic Chemistry
- Teach Physics and/or a course in the Environmental Sciences as needed
- Supervise independent student research as needed
- Perform research and outreach that addresses regional environmental issues
- Advise students
- Serve on committees
- Other duties as assigned.
- A PhD is expected in chemistry or a related field however an ABD candidate or a candidate with significant teaching experience and a Master’s degree and a willingness to obtain a PhD may be considered as well.
- The ability to teach Physics and/or a course in the Environmental Sciences, such as Atmospheric Science, is preferred.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, current resume and contact information for three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged and should be sent in PDF or Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing address: Human Resources, Paul Smith’s College, P.O. Box 265, Paul Smiths, NY 12970.
Fax to: (518) 327-6161.
Paul Smith’s College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal
opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V