In addition to adhering to the general faculty guidelines, as specified by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, duties will include:
- Teaching a variety of upper-division Computer Science and Computer Information Systems courses in day, night, weekend, distance learning formats and also at various offsite locations
- Developing and delivering courses in a variety of modes, including online courses that ensure quality and effective assessment
- Working with a range of students to assist them in reaching goals and learning outcomes
- Professional development and/or scholarship appropriate for a teaching institution to maintain currency in disciplinary fields(s)
- Office hours and advising students
- Serving on committees and accreditation efforts as needed
- Willingness to contribute to the University’s mission in terms of undergraduate teaching, research, creative activities, etc.
- Assuming any other professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by administrative personnel
- An earned Ph.D. or ABD in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology or related area of Computer field from a regionally accredited institution
- Willingness to teach and advise students during summer semesters
- Experience teaching at the baccalaureate level or higher. Graduate teaching experience will also be considered.
Salary Schedule$52,000-$63,452 (9 month contract), minimum to midpoint, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
University InformationLocated in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 31 different degree programs are taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
EEO StatementNon-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.
Background Check StatementIn accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.
Open Until Filled