The Department of Physical Sciences at Dixie State University in St. George, UT, invites applications for a one-year full-time Assistant Professor of Geography/GIS position to begin August 2017. The successful candidate will possess a Ph.D. in Geography, with emphasis in GIS and remote sensing, and teach physical geography with labs and geographic information system (GIS) courses.
- Teach 24 credits of lecture and laboratory courses each academic year plus the equivalent of three credit hours or more in institutional service as defined by the School of Science & Technology.
- Teach courses ranging from general education geography courses through upper level courses in area of expertise.
- Serve on institutional and departmental committees as assigned.
- Advise students on general education and discipline-specific requirements.
- Attend department, division and college faculty meetings, work with other faculty in program management, and adhere to university policies.
- Ph.D. in Geography with an emphasis in GIS and remote sensing required.
- Research or teaching background in geography and a working knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS).
- Research background in geographic information systems, remote sensing, environmental monitoring or geographical social science desired.
- Evidence of potential for successful teaching and laboratory experience at the college level.
- Interest and expertise must be in teaching at the college level, along with potential interest to develop undergraduate research programs.
- Interest in utilizing technology as an educational tool.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work with and assist adjunct laboratory instructors.
- An eagerness to engage with colleagues, staff and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience of our students.
Terms of Contract: Tenure track (9-month) faculty position. Begins Fall Semester 2017 (teaching/duties begin August 2017, salary + benefits begin July 1, 2017). Salary is $52,000+ depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefit package included. This is a one-year temporary position.
About Dixie State University: Dixie State is the newest regional state university in the Utah System of Higher Education. With the transition from a community college to the attainment of University status in 2013, Dixie currently has approximately 8,500 students and offers bachelor’s degrees in 58 content areas, as well as 9 minors, and 16 associate’s degrees. Dixie State is a growing, dynamic institution with a desire to offer innovative programs, preparing our students through active learning opportunities. Click here to explore Dixie State and the area.
Electronic Application Procedures: Submit cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three references (including email) and unofficial transcripts electronically. Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. You will not be able to add to or edit your application once it has been submitted. Employment may be contingent upon positive results of a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.