SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
Description of Duties:
- Teach courses at the undergraduate level
- Develop field, laboratory, and hands-on activities in Marine Science and/or Environmental Science
- Participate in student recruitment
- Supervise student internships
- Participate in departmental curriculum development and assessment
- Engage in scholarly activities
- University service, including participation on committees, student advising, and special projects
- Hold office hours
- Doctoral degree in Environmental Science, Marine Science, Oceanography or related field
- Ability to teach undergraduate courses in marine environmental science and oceanography, as well as introductory courses in biology, chemistry, and geology
- Ability to develop and teach advanced courses in Marine Science and Environmental Science
- Strong pedagogical and communications skills
- Previous teaching experience
- Interest in developing undergraduate research opportunities
- Interest in community outreach, STEM initiations and/or K-12 science education
Classification/Salary Range: The Assistant Professor of Marine Environmental Science is a tenure-track, academic year UUP Position. The anticipated salary for the position is $65,000 with an outstanding benefits package (for additional information please see the UUP Benefits Summary).
Special Notes: This is a 10-Month academic year appointment UUP position. Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Review of applications to commence immediately and will end when position is filled.
Expenses for interview and relocation are not reimbursed
Budget Title: Assistant Professor – 10 Months
Local Title: Assistant Professor of Marine Environmental Science
Line #: 00267
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/sites/default/files/media/Documents/SUNY_Maritime_Harassment_Policy.pdf
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references.
Returning Applicants – Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.