Salary: Dependent upon academic qualifications and experience
Date of Appointment: August 21, 2018
Position Description and Responsibilities:
Fixed-Term, Non-tenure track, Nine-month appointment.
The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry in the College of Science and Engineering (COSE) at St. Cloud State University has an opening for a Fixed-Term Assistant/Associate Professor of Biochemistry. The program has 13 full-time chemistry faculty positions and offers American Chemical Society approved undergraduate degree programs and a Professional Science Master’s program in materials science and instrumentation (PSM-MSI). The department is well equipped with major instrumentation and research facilities, including access to the Integrated Science and Engineering Laboratory Facility (ISELF). More information about the College, the Department, and facilities can be found at http://www.stcloudstate.edu/cose/, http://www.stcloudstate.edu/chemistry/, http://www.stcloudstate.edu/graduate/psm-msi/default.aspx, and http://www.stcloudstate.edu/iself/.
Primary duties include teaching undergraduate lecture and laboratory courses in biochemistry, biophysical chemistry and Introductory General, Organic and Biological Chemistry. Successful candidates will be expected to engage in research involving undergraduate students and perform academic advising. The ideal candidate will share St. Cloud State’s commitment to our mission and values, especially our commitment to educating our racially and socio-economically diverse student population. Applicants will be expected to establish and maintain a professional goal to become outstanding teachers through the use of research based, best practices pedagogy. They should be willing to participate in teaching using alternative delivery methods such as online and hybrid. They will regularly engage in ongoing professional development and innovation opportunities focused on pedagogical growth offered within the College and at SCSU.
A successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to: teach effectively, produce a record of scholarly or creative achievement or research, participate in continuing preparation and study, contribute to student growth and development, and provide service to the department, university, and/or community (IFO Article 22, Section B). Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at:
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. or ABD in Chemistry or Biochemistry, completed by time of appointment
- Ability to work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Teaching experience in biochemistry lecture and lab
- Experience with innovative and research based pedagogy
- Experience teaching online and hybrid courses
Application Procedures & Deadlines: To apply for this position, use the website:
http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm (click “Apply” within this posting to complete application)
The completed application must include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- One page description of proposed research with undergraduates.
- Name and contact information for three (3) current, professional references
- Unofficial transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) acceptable for screening. Official transcripts are required for the successful candidate prior to hiring.
Note: Each required document must be uploaded for your application to be reviewed by the committee.
Search Committee Chair: Dr. Nathan Bruender
Position is open until filled. Materials received after this date cannot be guaranteed consideration.
- Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization, which can be found at: http://www.hr.mnscu.edu/contract_plans/index.html