Posting Number: 2014163F
Department: Mathematics & Science CSM (DEPT)
Location: College of San Mateo
Position Number: 4F0173
Percentage of Full Time: The work year is 175 days (10 month of service).
Months per Year: 10
Salary Range: –
Position Type: Faculty
San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCCD) values the principles of diversity and equity. We provide our students with a rich and dynamic learning community that embraces differences, emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become critical thinkers and socially responsible leaders.
SMCCCD seeks employees who value working in a collegial, collaborative environment, guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve success. All departments strongly encourage collaboration across disciplines to create integrated, interdisciplinary learning experiences. SMCCCD faculty members are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to use, different learning and teaching methods as appropriate to the discipline.
Start date of this assignment: Fall 2018Minimum Qualifications:
Masters degree or above in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics; OR Bachelors in physics or astronomy AND a Masters or above in engineering, mathematics, meteorology, or geophysics; OR the equivalent (see below)
Demonstrated sensitivity and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Academic preparation for or successful experience in teaching astronomy at the community college or university level
2. Commitment to maintaining currency in the discipline and related technology appropriate to instruction
3. Knowledge of successful teaching techniques that engage students in their own learning, motivate students to develop higher order thinking skills, and ensure consistent and appropriate monitoring of student progress
4. Commitment to the teaching profession, its goals, and ideals
5. Enthusiasm for, understanding of, and commitment to the role and purpose of the community college
6. The capacity to reflect on and evaluate ones pedagogy and to examine its effects critically
7. Skill and experience in motivating students from a broad spectrum of academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds
8. Ability to communicate effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups and abilities.
9. Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken language
10. Ability to work independently and as part of a team
11. Ability to use instructional strategies designed for diverse learning styles and academic goals
12. Commitment to the SMCCCD goal of integrating writing across the curriculum
13. Experience in and commitment to the use of computer-based technology appropriate to the subject areas of the assignment and willingness to expand this technology
14. Experience with reflectors, refractors, and Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes
15. Experience with setting up and using a solar telescope
16. Experience with the operation of a planetarium and its application to teaching
17. Evidence of, and commitment to involvement with community related projects such as outreach activities with local schools
18. Familiarity with python, C++ or any other computer language is a plus
19. Familiarity with the use of the latest technology in teaching astronomy
First Review Date: 03/15/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit: https://jobs.smccd.edu/
The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.