South Puget Sound Community College seeks candidates for the 2017-2018 academic year to fill a full-time tenure track position in General Biology for Majors and Non-Majors. This position will begin effective September 11, 2017.
Successful candidates will possess the interest, skills and abilities to help college teams lead the state in innovative and collaborative learning experiences designed to optimize student success.
Candidates will be able to or have interest in learning how to:
- Place student success at the center of all decision-making.
- Engage with students, faculty, staff and administrators to create a community of learners.
- Seek opportunities for teaching and learning excellence.
- Embrace change, risk-taking and innovation.
- Respect the richness of diverse cultural values, beliefs and practices of others.
- Contribute to the technical and general education of students who will apply learning to the world of work and transfer their education to a university.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Faculty members will work with other faculty, staff, and administrators to:
- Create and facilitate contextualized and integrated learning experiences in Biology and other life sciences in relation to identified college pathways that are linked to career goals.
- Create authentic assessments of students’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in Biology and other life sciences that measure course, program, and college wide outcomes.
- Apply multiple teaching and learning strategies that promote the affective, cognitive and kinesthetic domains of learning.
- Provide online, hybrid, and/or e-Learning enhanced courses.
- Use local, state, and national data and analytics to continuously improve strategies for student success.
- Advise students regarding academic pathways and the courses needed to reach each student’s academic goals.
- Use a wide range of learning resources, tools and technologies to improve access and student success in higher education.
- Serve on committees that support the shared governance of the college.
- Master’s degree in Biology, a biological science, or closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Proven ability to teach General Biology and other life sciences.
- Demonstrated experience designing contemporary curriculum.
- Ph.D. in Biology, a biological science, or closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- At least three years of teaching post-secondary General Biology.
- Evidence of teaching excellence.
- Evidence of innovative and diverse teaching methods, and technologies, to support teaching and learning in a dynamic educational environment.
- A commitment and ability to work effectively with students of various cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, including a wide range of student preparedness and physical abilities.
- Experience in the academic advising of students, with knowledge of transfer and AA programs.
- Experience working collaboratively to promote student success.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in department, division, and college wide committees.
- Experience working with Learning Management Systems for hybrid and online courses.
- Ability to establish community connections, particularly as they relate to students’ educational experience.
- Interest in professional development as an educator and a scholar.
- Knowledge and experience working with learning outcomes.
- Knowledge and experience working with Learning Management Systems.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items:
- Completed SPSCC Employment Application
- Letter of formal application that specifically addresses your ability to perform the responsibilities and essential functions described in this announcement.
- Resume of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
- Copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts will be required upon hire
Send application materials via one of the delivery methods below- email is preferred:
Human Resource Office
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia, WA 98512
Fax: (360) 596-5706