General Function (Description):
The School of Arts and Sciences at Clark Atlanta University invites applications for chair for the Department of Biological Sciences to begin in August 2019. Successful candidates should have a scholarly specialization in the life sciences and a distinguished record of Teaching, Research and Service commensurate with appointment as a tenured Associate Professor or Full Professor in the department. The chair will work closely with department faculty, Center for Cancer Research and Therapeutics Development, students and alumni in a collegial, dynamic department that offers the B.S., M.S. and Ph.D degrees. The chair must provide leadership, demonstrate management skills and model the highest standards of scholarship. Reporting directly to the Dean, School of Arts & Sciences, the chair position is subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation and/or confirmation period for new appointees.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effective communicator of department needs to dean and university priorities to faculty
- Maintain open lines of communication with students both undergraduate and graduate
- Develop program curriculum at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Develop course schedules and rotations of courses
- Manage the departmental budget, record keeping, instructional materials etc.
- Experience with assessment principles and will manage program utilizing best practices of assessment
- Develop departmental policies and procedures in accordance with university and school policies and procedures
- Focus on student advising
- Coordinating and supervising academic program reviews, accreditation and other reviews as required
- Develop relationships and collaborations with other departments, schools support units and universities to promote interdisciplinary collaboration and expanded academic opportunities for students
- Evaluate faculty and staff performance
- Foster good teaching and stimulating research, scholarly writing and creative activity
- Mentor and promote professional development of faculty and staff
- Facilitate the writing of proposals for grants, contracts and cooperative agreements from external agencies both public and private
- Encourage service to the university and community by faculty, staff and students
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and management skills
- Outstanding experience and accomplishments in research, teaching and service that will support appointment at the associate or full professor rank
- Demonstrated ability to acquire external funds
- A commitment to recruitment and mentorship of diverse faculty and students
- Support student groups related to academics
- A commitment to undergraduate and graduate education
- Promote collegiality among faculty, staff and students, resolve faculty conflicts and equitably distribute workloads
- Make recommendations for tenure, reappointment, salary adjustments and leaves of absence
- Demonstrate integrity and professionalism as an administrator
The Department is looking for a candidate with a track record of scholarship, funded research and academic leadership in Biological Sciences. Field of specialization is open however candidates with a strong background in Ecology, Environmental Sciences, Genomics/ Bioinformatics will be preferred. The department seeks a candidate with vision and energy who understands the needs of undergraduate and graduate programs in a modern urban university and will chart the future of the department.
Salary is negotiable based on qualifications and experience. Along with a letter of interest, candidates should send curriculum vitae, three letters of reference and evidences of effective teaching and research.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The preferred candidate should be familiar with different learning management systems, such as Banner web; Canvas; Degree works; GradesFirst, EAB Student Success Collaborative, etc., as well as discipline-specific research and instructional technology.
Minimum Hiring Standards:
- Ph.D or in Biological Sciences or associated fields
Years of Experience
- Substantive experience in higher education
- Years of Management/Supervisor Experience
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience
Clark Atlanta University
223 James P. Brawley Drive, S.W.
Harkness Hall, Room 218
Atlanta, GA 30314
Phone: (404) 880-8050
Fax: (404) 880-6115
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org