Located in the beautiful upstate region of South Carolina, Southern Wesleyan University (SWU) is a Christ-centered, student-focused learning community devoted to transforming lives by challenging students to be dedicated scholars and servant leaders who impact the world for Christ. Along with a vibrant, traditional undergraduate program, SWU offers online programs.
Southern Wesleyan University’s College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for a 9-month, tenure-track position in Computer Science within its Science Division. This position, which will begin August 1, 2018, or sooner, is located at SWU’s main campus in Central, South Carolina. The university is actively seeking to increase the number of women and minorities within its faculty.
1. Teaching in the areas of cybersecurity, hardware and software configuration, networking, database design and implementation, systems analysis and design, programming, and theory of computing. Responsibilities may include teaching in both our traditional undergraduate program and the online program. SWU faculty carry a 12-hour/semester load.
2. Program assessment, development, and student recruitment and advising in the BS in Computer Information Systems degrees.
3. Active in the scholarship of the discipline through research presentations at conferences and/or publishing in journals.
4. Demonstrate servant-leadership by engaging in service activities within the university and the larger community.
1. Academic. A master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field is required; a Ph.D. in Computer Science or closely-related discipline is preferred. The successful candidate will have an interest in and university experience in teaching computer science courses; an active research agenda; and experience teaching computer science in secondary schools. Desire and/or experience in integrating Christian faith with the teaching and practice of the discipline of computer science is essential. The entry level of the candidate will be determined by terminal degree, qualifications, and experience.
2. Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations. To view the university’s profile, visit About SWU.
3. Technology. SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and familiar with the use of technology within the academic environment including distance learning and learning management systems, web-based programs, and PC applications, including all Microsoft Office 365 applications.
4. Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.