POSITION: Full-time, with faculty rank; continuing status track, 9-month faculty appointment in the School of Natural Sciences.
STARTING DATE: July 1, 2018
Fresno Pacific University invites applications for a Biology faculty position in its programs serving traditional undergraduate students. The Department offers Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees in Biology, Pre-health and Environmental Science/Studies. Modern facilities house faculty offices and laboratories; the campus is in close proximity to regional medical centers, natural areas such as Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks, and the nation’s most productive agricultural region. Department faculty members are committed to excellent undergraduate education; our graduates have a strong record of career placement, and acceptance into graduate and professional schools.
- Teach introductory and upper division undergraduate biology courses;
- Develop a scholarly research program that incorporates undergraduate student research;
- Mentor and advise undergraduate students majoring in Pre-health or Biology;
- Contribute to departmental, university and community activities and service.
- Ph.D. in a field of biological sciences;
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement;
- Evidence of the potential to be a strong mentor and advisor to Pre-health or Biology majors (as well as general education students);
- Evidence of potential for excellent college-level instruction;
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment;
- Ability to integrate biology and Christian faith;
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Specialization in physiology or biochemistry;
- Substantial background in bioethics and/or statistics;
- Skills to support an ethnically and culturally diverse student body.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities-master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea at fresno.edu/about/fpu_idea.
COMPENSATION: Dependent on qualifications and experience, and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA-CREF), Section 125 options.
APPLICATION: A faculty application is available at www.fresno.edu/careers. (Use a browser other than Firefox to open a writable application.)
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Dr. Karen Cianci, Dean
School of Natural Sciences
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
OR e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.