SALARY: Depends on Qualifications
POSITION: Nine Month Fixed Term Appointment*
DATE OF APPOINTMENT: August 20, 2018
The successful applicant will work in the undergraduate and master’s programs in Geography. Teaching areas include Population, Migration, Introductory Geography, World Regional, and Philosophy of Geography. Additional responsibilities include research, continuing professional preparation, contributions to student growth, and service to the university and community.
- Ph.D. in Geography, OR Master’s degree in Geography AND Ph.D. in a closely related field. ABD considered. (If ABD, degree must be conferred on an official transcript and received in Human Resources by September 28, 2018.)
- Ability to teach in Population, Migration, and Human or Cultural Geography.
- Demonstrated potential for effectiveness in teaching, scholarly research, continuing professional preparation, contributions to student growth, and service to the university and community.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Ability to teach applied GIS courses in areas of specialization and competence.
- Ability to collaborate with other departments/disciplines in teaching and scholarly activities.
- Potential for collaboration with public, private and/or non-profit organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
Minnesota State University, Mankato is a comprehensive university of approximately 15,000 students located 85 miles southwest of the Minneapolis – St. Paul Metropolitan Area. The Department of Geography is home to 125 Geography and 35 Earth Science undergraduate majors, 30 master’s students and nine faculty members. We host two state-of-the-science computer labs for GIScience. The department offers the B.A., B.S. and M.S. degrees in Geography, the B.A. and B.S. degrees in Earth Science, and certificates in Geomorphology and Earth Surface Processes and in Geographic Information Science. We also collaborate in an interdisciplinary certificate in Geoarcheology with the Department of Anthropology. Please visit the department and program website at: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/geography/. Additional information on Minnesota State University, Mankato can be found at: http://www.mnsu.edu.
- Please note that this is a fixed-term (non-tenure track) appointment. A fixed-term appointment is an appointment for a limited period of time and is to be used only when the position to be filled is clearly of a temporary nature or when a permanent position needs to be filled for a temporary period. Fixed-term employment terminates at the end of the appointment period and carries no implication for future employment.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: To apply for this position, please continue the process via this website or directly at: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/vacancy/. A complete online application will include the following attachments. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the search committee.
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three (3) references
- If available, teaching evaluations and examples of scholarly work.
- Unofficial Transcript(s) of all graduate and undergraduate degree(s). An official or certified copy of transcripts for the highest completed degree will be required prior to any interview as a finalist for this position.
Dr. Fei Yuan, Search Committee Chair
Department of Geography
Minnesota State University
206 Morris Hall
Mankato, MN 56001
Phone: 507-389-2617 (Geography Department)
TTY: 800-627-3526 or 711