East Los Angeles College is dedicated to providing the highest quality of transfer and workforce education courses, along with superior adult education, basic skills, and community service programs. We serve a culturally diverse community in a dynamic urban setting with the purpose of supporting students in achieving associate of arts degrees, general education, skill/certificates, and/or personal development. The college seeks to fulfill the potential of each student through innovative teaching methods, the latest in educational technology, and committed support services.
The College is interested in candidates who possess academic or life experiences that enhance teaching in a multicultural setting. The Anthropology, Geography, & Geology Department is looking for faculty members to join in our pursuit of student success and professional excellence. The assignments may include teaching at off-campus centers such as the South Gate Educational Center and/or evening and weekend classes.
To find out more about East Los Angeles College, please visit our website at www.elac.edu.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach Geography courses (teach 15-contact hours per semester).
- Maintain scheduled office hours.
- Participate in the development and review of curriculum and assessment of learning.
- Serve on department, campus, and/or district committees.
- Participate in professional development activities and student learning outcomes.
- Attend department meetings and adhere to applicable professional standards.
- Maintain strong collegial relationships and teamwork within the department.
- Assignment may be at the main or satellite campuses such as the South Gate Educational Center.
- Assignment may include morning, afternoon, evening, and or weekend classes.
Salary and Benefits
Under the 2014-2017AFT Agreement, the salaries for entry-level positions, which include long-term substitutes, range from$54,670 to $85,120. The Los Angeles Community College District provides fringe benefits including a choice of dental and medical plans, voluntary life insurance, income protection insurance and vision care. Optional teaching assignments may include winter and summer intersessions. In addition to the State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS), employees have the option to participate in a 403b plan.
- Master’s degree in geography; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in geography AND a Master’s degree in geology, history, meteorology or oceanography; OR
- The equivalent.
Desired Employment Qualifications
- Successful experience teaching introductory Geography courses.
- Competency in Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- An excellent academic record demonstrating a strong background in Geography and related fields.
- Familiarity with instructional technology and online instruction.
- Up-to-date knowledge of issues and research in Geography and related fields.
- Understanding of the learning needs of non-traditional students and utilization of appropriate pedagogy to ensure student success.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, as well as disabled individuals in their ranks.
- Strong communication skills in oral and written English.
- A strong commitment to professional growth.
- Knowledge of different learning styles and teaching techniques.
- Willingness to participate in student activities and the student learning outcomes process.
- Willingness to work at off-site locations such as the South Gate Educational Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Instruct a variety of lower division Geography courses which may include Physical Geography, Physical Geography Laboratory, Cultural Geography, World Regional Geography, Intro to Environmental Science, Geography of California, Meteorology, and Intro to Geographic Information Systems.
- Participate in the evaluation, revision, and development of curriculum.
- Participate in departmental administration such as CLO and PLO assessment and Program Review.
- Maintain currency in the discipline, in effective teaching methods and in educational technology through professional development activities.
- Participate in department and college governance activities through meetings, committee service and other appropriate activities.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with other universities, colleges, organizations, public agencies and private industries in Geography and related fields.
- Utilize the results of learning outcome assessments to improve instructional
- support programs, teaching and student learning.
You must create an online application to apply for a career opportunity at the East Los Angeles College. LACCD requires individuals to complete an online application to apply for positions and to upload all required documents. Applications must be received by 4PM May 5, 2017. Application materials are not accepted by fax, walk-ins, postal mail and e-mail. Please go to https://laccd.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=6&c=laccd to file the application packet.
All materials submitted will become the property of East Los Angeles College. After review of application materials by the selection committee, candidates will be contacted only if selected for interviews.
Qualified candidates interested in the position must submit all of the following:
- Cover letter indicating how qualifications and experience are met.
- Statement of educational philosophy.
- Copy of all unofficial transcripts from accredited institutions (official transcripts will be required at the time of hiring). Documentation from an approved foreign transcript evaluator is required for degrees received from other counties.
NOTE: All degrees must be granted by an accredited college or university in the United States or the transcripts from foreign institutions must be submitted with an approved evaluation of equivalency from a foreign evaluation service approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Foreign Evaluation Agencies Degrees, foreign degree evaluation and/or, if needed, an approved formal equivalency must be completed at the time of filing an application.
All applications will be evaluated to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications.
Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and who are deemed to possess the highest degree of desired qualifications will be invited for an interview. A short teaching demonstration will be required as part of the interview. The committee willrecommend finalists for a second interview to the President who will make the final recommendation to the Board of Trustees.
For assistance with creating a profile, logging in, and application submission, please contact us by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
For questions regarding this position contact Dean Armando Rivera-Figueroa at RIVERAA2@elac.edu .
Individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request an accommodation in the selection/interview process with at least three business days prior notice. Documentation of the need for accommodation may be requested.
Equal Employment Policy : The policy of the Los Angeles Community College District is to implement equal opportunity to all qualified candidates for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, medical condition (cancer related), sexual orientation, or veteran status. Positive action will be taken to ensure that this policy is followed in all personnel practices including recruitment, hiring, placement, upgrading, transfer, demotion, and treatment during employment, rate of pay or other forms of compensation, selection for training, layoff or termination. A vigorous equal employment opportunity program will be maintained to ensure a diverse work force and to achieve expected representation of qualified members of under-represented groups through the implementation of specific result-oriented plans and procedures (Board Rule 101301). East Los Angeles College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
East Los Angeles College is an Equal Opportunity Employer