Position Reports To
Department Chair & Dean
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach assigned courses in your discipline by preparing lecture and laboratory materials and activities, which result in demonstrated student achievement. Laboratory activities may require some heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds).
- Develop, evaluate and revise course objectives and syllabi to ensure instructional quality.
- Make every effort to provide a safe learning environment for the students and be responsible for the security of equipment, materials, and classrooms.
- Provide students with timely evaluation of their progress and with educational assistance within assigned courses including tutoring, referral to available student support services, and by acting as an educational resource for students.
- Provide timely and accurate information and/or reports throuqhout the semester and at the end of each semester to the Registration Office and departmental office. (This includes final exam and course grades, grade records, attendance records grade distributions, copies of final exams, competency analysis, etc.)
- Provide accurate career and/or degree plan advisement during scheduled and/or unscheduled student advisement and registration periods.
- Conduct analyses and reports on course based, general education and/or other assessments as needed for Institutional Effectiveness process.
- Work a minimum of 35 hours a week on campus including a minimum of 10 office hours per week.
- Teach day, evening, weekend, distance learning courses, at either campus, off-campus and/or out-of-town courses as assigned.
- Keep current with changes and advances in the fields of science, technology, and pedagogy and incorporate these into the appropriate teaching areas.
- Participate in activities such as orientation, convocation, in-service, and seminars designed for professional growth and development.
- Participate in library collection development for the disciplines through the request of materials and the evaluation of the present holdings.
- Participate in committees at the college and at the departmental level.
- Attend meetings called by the College President, Senior Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs, Dean of Arts & Sciences, Department Chairperson, or Committee Chairpersons.
- Follow the proper procedures for requisitioning textbooks, instructional supplies, expendable supplies, and travel requisitions and reports.
- Substitute for colleagues when necessary.
- Follow the approved academic calendar and exam schedules.
- Participate in the procedures of evaluation of courses by students and by supervisors, act as a mentor to other faculty members when appropriate, and/or become a member of an evaluative team for a colleague.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the College President, Senior Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs, Dean of Arts and Sciences, or Department Chairperson.
Required QualificationsA Master’s Degree and a minimum of 18 graduate hours in Geology.
- A Master’s Degree in Geology and teaching/work experience.
- Some experience in teaching, preferably at the community and/or senior college level, is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The individual must be knowledgeable, mature, and concerned with the academic progress of students.
- The individual must be cooperative and professional in dealing with college administrators, colleagues, and students.
- The ability to operate specialized laboratory equipment, audio-visual aids, and computers, and the ability to develop laboratory and lecture strategies to enhance teaching effectiveness are essential.
Physical DemandsWalking, standing, lifting, carrying, and bending.
Required to lift items weighing 50 pounds, due to possible laboratory requirements.
Work EnvironmentInside Work-in a well lighted and air conditioned area most of the time
Outside will be exposed to all types of weather. noise, and vibration from equipment.
SafetyRequired to work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Special ConditionsOther duties may be assigned by immediate supervisor. May be required to work outside regular working hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to work at a different college work site or campus as needed.
Posting Number: 00152
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to ApplicantsPlease ensure that you remove/hide all personal information from any attachments that you upload into the system. This includes social security number and date of birth.