Essential Functions –
- Teach courses (lecture and laboratory) in the introductory two-semester inorganic chemistry sequence for undergraduate science majors. Course assignments may include honors course sections. The specific courses assigned are based on the recommendation of the Department Chairperson and the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Optional assignments could include evening courses or online.
- Assist in selecting textbooks, developing curricula, completing reports, tracking and entering assessment data.
- Recruit students for all chemistry courses.
- Maintain skills in teaching methods and course development as recommended by HutchCC.
- Plan, revise, and update curricula.
- Participate, as possible, in faculty development activities at the college and within state and regional organizations.
- Maintain records and files as requested by the department and/or Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Serve actively on institutional committees.
- Arrive on time for work, attend work regularly, and successfully complete the responsibilities of the position.
- Comply with HutchCC policies, procedures, and practices.
- May advise current and prospective students in appropriate curricula.
- May mentor honors students.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Department Chairperson or the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Master of Science Degree in Chemistry or Chemistry Education required.
- Evidence of 2 to 3 years of effective chemistry teaching experience at the post-secondary level preferred.
- Ability to incorporate study skills, adult learning theory, and teaching/learning strategies to improve student persistence and retention.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, faculty and other HutchCC stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, gender and disabilities populations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in a student-centered environment.
- Physical requirements include excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills. The ability to understand words and respond effectively and appropriately. Visual acuity to view a computer terminal; Light/Indoor work environment.
- Mental requirements include the ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions about the position.
o Physical and mental qualifications must be performed with or without a reasonable accommodation. -The qualifications listed are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties.
SALARY and STATUS:
The salary is commensurate with qualifications as determined by the 2017-2018 Master Agreement Hiring Schedule. This full-time faculty position is 9-months annual, due process rights eligible, benefit eligible and exempt. For a copy of the hiring schedule for this position, please see the attached schedule, or you may visit the following address: http://www.hutchcc.edu/hiring-schedule
HutchCC Administrative/Instructional Application Form
Submit application to:
HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE
1300 NORTH PLUM, HUTCHINSON, KS 67501, 620-665-3497
The hired candidate will be required to submit official, non-issued to student, transcripts.