The ideal candidate works together with all faculty and staff to create an atmosphere of trust and respect in which all can succeed. This candidate will fulfill the duties of faculty in the Laser Electro-Optics (Photonics) Technology Program, teaching, advising, and College Service, in accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Under the supervision of the Dean of (STEM), the Assistant Professor of Laser Electro-Optics (Photonics) Technology will demonstrate excellence in the following areas:
Leadership and Management:
- Collaborates with faculty, other deans and college staff on initiatives to increase support for laser electro-optics (photonics) technology students and faculty.
- Submits promptly and in proper form all reports and requests as set forth by the Dean of (STEM) and the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Attend all meetings as required;
- Ensures that student learning outcomes for courses and the program are current and assessed regularly, documenting the process and submitting appropriate information to the dean.
- Teaching introductory and advanced Laser Electro-Optics (Photonics) Technology courses to students from a diverse cultural and educational background. The person filling this position believes that all students can learn, and that student engagement in the classroom enhances knowledge of academic content and leads to higher student success.
- The successful candidate understands that students learn in different ways due to their diverse cultural and educational backgrounds and provides numerous teaching techniques, such as lecture, small group work, and the use of technology to reach all students.
- Provides guidance to students in their learning and educational planning.
- Instruct and supervise students in both classroom and laboratory settings, including the preparation of assignments and equipment for lectures and laboratory exercises.
- Advise and register students.
- Forwards recommendations on department instructional space needs to the Department Chair and to the Dean of (STEM).
- Ensures utilization and proper maintenance of specialized learning equipment and materials.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves on college committees and task forces.
- Represents the college by active participation in related organizations, networks and cooperative groups.
- Performs special projects and related responsibilities as initiated and requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Optics, Electro-Optics, Photonics, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or related field required. MS degree preferred.
- Minimum of five ( 5) years of experience in the laser electro-optics (photonics) industry required.
- College-level teaching experience in laser electro-optics (photonics) technology or related field, preferably at the community college level, preferred.
- Desire and ability to work with a diverse student body in a cooperative environment.
- Experience creating and implementing student learning outcomes, evaluating student performance and progress through a variety of assessment approaches; the use of classroom technology, online learning, and student-centered learning techniques are preferred.
- Commitment to college service activities is required.
- Must be able to work in a diverse college setting.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Duties normally performed in a classroom/lab environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must have the ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. Must have the able to bend, stoop, sit, climb, walk and reach overhead as needed.
Springfield Technical Community College