The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Coppin State University (CSU) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in Mathematics or Statistics at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The successful candidate should have a PhD in mathematics or statistics and is expected to maintain an active independent research program with a strong potential for obtaining external funding, teach undergraduate courses with a commitment to excellence in teaching, advising undergraduate students, and contribute to the service component of the department, university, and profession. Coppin State University is on a semester calendar with an annual teaching load for faculty of eight (3-credit) courses. To apply, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statements of teaching philosophy and research interests, evidence of teaching and scholarly excellence or the potential for it, a statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Coppin State’s Diversity Statement, and three letters of reference sent directly by your referees.
- Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to excellence in teaching and research and a willingness to help foster the undergraduate experience at Coppin State University.
- Successful applicants will have an interest in fostering rigorous, inclusive, and high-impact learning environments for a diverse student body.
- Successful candidates should be able to teach a diverse set of courses in mathematics and statistics at the undergraduate level.
- Successful candidates will be required to participate in departmental and university activities that relates to recruitment and retention of students.
- Successful candidates will be required to conduct research and scholarship.
- Successful candidates will be required to actively serve on departmental, college and university committees.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics or Statistics or in a related field in applied mathematics at or near the time of appointment is required.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and commitment to collegiality and teamwork;
- Evidence of potential for excellence in teaching;
- Evidence of scholarly activities and research in mathematics or statistics;
- Ability to integrate undergraduate students in research agenda;
- Teaching experience with underrepresented students is highly preferred;
- A solid background in statistics and the ability to teach computational statistics.
Posting Number: FA2021-0010