The Department of Biochemistry at West Virginia University invites applications for a faculty position of Teaching Assistant Professor, Scientist Educator Track. This full time, non-tenure track position will have a major commitment to teaching medical, dental, and other health sciences students in the fields of biochemistry, molecular biology, and cell biology. In addition, the candidate will contribute to course and programmatic administration, educational innovation, and scholarship in the Department. A description of the department’s research programs and teaching mission can be found at http://medicine.hsc.wvu.edu/Biochemistry/
Electronic submission of application can be made at: https://wvu.taleo.net/careersection/faculty/jobdetail.ftl?job=13996 with a single file containing a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and contact information for three professional references to: Candidates selected for on-campus interviews will be required to deliver a sample teaching lesson on a predetermined topic.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or equivalent degree in related field.
- Candidates should have demonstrated excellence in teaching to professional students in a formal classroom setting, the ability to coordinate teaching activity of a faculty group, and the promise of growth as a health science educator.
- The successful candidate is expected to contribute to a positive working environment and meet high standards for excellence in scholarship and service.
- Salary and academic rank will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Two years of experience with a variety of teaching methods and development/design of teaching materials (computer assisted instruction, courses, textbooks, videos, etc.); experience in developing and delivering online courses; a record of research and/ or scholarly activity related to biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology or undergraduate/graduate education in the biomedical sciences.
- A background in metabolism or cell biology is preferred.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to a positive working environment and meet high standards for excellence in scholarship and service.
West Virginia University is a comprehensive, land-grant University with 191 undergraduate, graduate and professional programs and an enrollment of approximately 30,000 students. The WVU School of Medicine is a component of The Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, which facilitates interactions with the WVU Schools of Pharmacy, Dentistry, Nursing, and Public Health. With a metropolitan population of over 130,000, Morgantown is consistently rated as one of the best small cities in the U.S., with an affordable cost of living, excellent schools, a picturesque countryside, and is famous for its outdoor recreational opportunities
(https://www.morgantownwv.gov/240/Recognition). Morgantown has a local airport, the Pittsburgh International airport is 90 min away by car, and Washington, DC is 3hrs away by car. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.