Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
- Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nevada State College (NSC) invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Chemistry with a primary background in organic chemistry to begin Fall 2023. The selected candidate will join a dynamic and interdisciplinary team in the Department of Physical and Life Sciences, which supports Bachelor of Science degrees in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental & Resource Science, and Human Health Sciences. While teaching is the primary focus at NSC, some scholarly activities (within the discipline or in the scholarship of teaching and learning) are also expected, and involvement of undergraduates in research projects is encouraged. Faculty in the department have had undergraduate research supported by funding from NSF, NIH, INBRE, USDA, and NASA. We hope to find a colleague with interest and potential to participate in interdisciplinary opportunities in curriculum development and research among faculty and students.
Unless stated otherwise, all positions are required Nevada residency and on-site work.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Nevada State College, a four-year Minority Serving public institution with a statewide mission, is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning and committed to the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Designated a Hispanic Serving (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Institution (AANAPI), NSC is a college where teaching and student support are valued above all else.
A majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students, of which 45% are Hispanic, 14% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 9% are Black/African American, 24% are White, and 9% are multiracial.
We celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence, so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. To strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our institution and our community.
We encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
- Teach 24 credits per academic year across a 9-month appointment, which equates to 12 credit hours in the fall semester and 12 credit hours in the spring semester. Chemistry laboratory sections, although listed as one credit for students, count as three workload credits. A 6-credit release is provided the first year.
- Teach lower- and upper-level courses in chemistry, primarily Organic Chemistry I & II (CHEM 241 & 242) and their accompanying laboratory sections.
- Develop an upper-level course in area of specialization that may complement the chemistry degree.
- Engage in institutional service, serving on departmental- and college-wide committees.
- Engage in scholarship leading to publication in a peer-reviewed journal
- Create a culture of inclusive learning.
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry or other closely-related field at the time of employment (Candidates who are ABD are eligible with the expectation that the Ph.D. will be completed by July 31, 2023).
- Evidence of strong commitment to teaching, mentoring, and working with undergraduates.
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse, non-traditional, first-generation student population.
- Evidence of scholarly productivity and potential.
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas).
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted required qualifications at the time of application to be considered for the position. Upon successful hire, all full-time faculty are required to live and work in the state of Nevada.
- Evidence of instructional effectiveness at the college/university level.
- Commitment to active/experiential learning.
- Experience or interest in developing curriculum at college/university level.
- Evidence of scholarly productivity and potential.
Rank, Salary, and Benefits
9-month, tenure track. Budgeted salary for this position is $73,000. Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.50% retirement match, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type “Find Jobs” in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please note, once you submit your application the only attachment(s) viewable to you will be the attachment(s) to the resume/CV section of the application. Any additional required attachment(s) to the cover letter, references, additional documents sections of the application, will not be viewable to you after you submit your application. All uploaded attachment(s) will be on the application for the committee to review. To request updates to attachments, prior to the committee review of applications, please contact the candidate helpdesk at mailto:email@example.com.
Please upload the following documents:
- Detailed CV listing relevant qualifications and experience;
- Letter of interest or cover letter indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy;
- Names and contact information of three references, at least one of whom can speak to your teaching ability (you will be notified before references are contacted)
- (Optional) Student evaluations highlighting the candidate’s ability to teach college-level courses
The search committee may ask for more materials at later stages in the application process. Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Applications that do not include the required attachments may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Nevada State College
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3864293
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.