The Community College of Rhode Island is the state’s only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations throughout the state. Our primary mission is to offer recent high school graduates and returning adults the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth through an array of academic, career and lifelong learning programs.
At CCRI, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse campus community. We strive to hire and retain culturally competent faculty and staff members who reflect the demographics of our state and our increasingly diverse student population.
We believe that our diversity is our strength. We celebrate, support and thrive on the diverse experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives that are represented across our four campuses.
We are OneCCRI, working together to prepare learners to achieve their highest potential.
To learn about what employees value at CCRI and what it means to work here, please read about our Guiding Principles and watch videos of our employees doing what they do best: https://www.ccri.edu/equity/culture/guidingprinciples.html
Job SummaryThe CCRI Mathematics Department invites applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Mathematics, commencing fall 2020. The CCRI mathematics department is dedicated to providing an excellent curriculum and effective instruction for students who wish to pursue careers in Mathematics, Education, Science, Engineering, Health, Business, and General Education. The Mathematics Department is seeking a highly motivated, innovative candidate to provide instruction in mathematics courses ranging from the Pre-Algebra level up to the Calculus sequence and beyond. This position requires commitment to teach a variety of Math Courses, hold office hours, and perform other duties at the departmental, college, and governance levels to help further the objectives and mission of the college.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesCommitment to CCRI’s Mission:
- Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and mission of a comprehensive community college.
- Work collaboratively with others in a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Demonstrate commitment to the assessment of the student learning outcomes.
- Provide quality instruction in all courses offered by the mathematics department in a manner that demonstrates patience, uses repetition to develop concepts, and provides encouragement to our students.
- The successful candidate will teach a minimum of 15 credits per semester. The course assignments could be split between various campuses, which could include day, evening, and weekend. Therefore, there may be some travel required.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the changes in higher education landscape.
- Demonstrate an ability to learn and use new instructional technologies, including platforms such as MyLab, ALEKS, Blackboard, etc…, which the department/college requires.
- Use technology to increase interaction between students, as well as between the students and the professor.
- Work collaboratively in a student-centered environment, with students of various learning styles, cultures, identities, and life-experiences.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Engage in the development, evaluation, and revision of the curriculum.
- Serve on committees formed to develop mathematics curriculum, augment department policies, and/or improve the college.
- Actively pursue opportunities of professional development, stay current with best practices, and use these experiences to further the development of the department.
- Attend department meetings and engage in discussions in a positive and productive manner.
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Mathematics, or a Master’s degree in Statistics with a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics (or Mathematics Education), or a Master’s degree in Mathematics Education (with 21 or more graduate credits in mathematics).
- A minimum of one full academic year (full-time) collegiate teaching experience.
Desired Start Date: Fall 2020
EEO StatementCCRI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
We recognize that diversity and inclusivity are essential to creating a dynamic, positive and high-performing educational and work environment. We welcome applicants who can contribute to the College’s commitment to excellence created by diversity and inclusivity.
CCRI prohibits discrimination, including harassment and retaliation, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or status as a protected veteran. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination shall be referred to the College’s Title IX Coordinator at: TitleIXCoordinator@ccri.edu.
The Jeanne Clery Act requires institutions of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available here: https://ccri.edu/campuspolice/pdfs/ASR-Final-92019.pdf