- 50% Teach existing courses in aquatic/wetland microbial ecology and soil biogeochemistry and must introduce new topics in microbial ecology of wetland ecosystems.
- 30% Develop and maintain a rigorous, externally-funded and independent research program in microbial ecology and soil biogeochemistry with relevance to wetland science, to study topics such as climate change, environmental pollution, restoration and sustainable management of coastal ecosystems. The scale of research may be local to global and involve interdisciplinary approaches including isotopic, genomic, energetics, and/or quantitative tools in the field of laboratory. Must collaborate on multidisciplinary projects with other coastal and wetland scientists.
- 10% Mentor graduate students.
- 10% Provide service and advice to state and federal agencies and the University as necessary.
About the Department:
The Department of Oceanography & Coastal Sciences in the College of the Coast and Environment has strong biological, physical, chemical, geological, fisheries, and wetland & aquatic biogeochemistry programs in continental shelf, estuarine, and wetland environments. Located in the state capital of Baton Rouge, on the banks of the Mississippi River, LSU is surrounded by diverse aquatic and coastal habitats including bottomland hardwood forest, cypress swamp, long-leaf pine flatwoods, freshwater and salt water marshes, bays, and barrier islands. LSU is located just 100 miles from the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium, with access to surrounding coastal environments supported by facilities including boats, field stations, laboratory space, and dormitories.
- Ph.D in a science field.
- Ph.D in biogeochemistry, ecology, oceanography or related field.
- Applicants who are A.B.D. or those with degree conferred by August 2020 will be considered. Must have a promising research plan and strong commitment to graduate and undergraduate education.
- Postdoctoral Researcher experience preferred.
Competencies or position include:
- Demonstrate potential to sustain an active research program Proficient
- Strong publication record, commensurate with experience Proficient
- Ability to provide quality mentoring and teaching to undergraduate and graduate students Proficient
Please provide three professional references including name, title, phone number and e-mail address .
Statement of Teaching (Other Document 1) and Statement of Research (Other Document 2) must be provided with application.
A copy of your transcript(s) attached to your application (if available). However, original transcripts are required prior to hire.
Additional Position Information:
Background Check – An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits – LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu