The Department of Biology at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN is seeking a broadly trained, tenure-track Assistant Professor in Environmental and Ecological Studies who compliments existing strengths in the biology program and can develop creative and highly sought after environmental studies programs. The Department of Biology at Marian University fosters student learning through mentored research experiences and innovative pedagogy. The core biology program features a research across the curriculum model that integrates authentic, novel research projects into introductory courses for majors. Preference will be given to individuals who will be able to mentor research or student projects that utilize the Nina Mason Pulliam EcoLab, a 55-acre natural area on the Marian University campus. Environmental restoration began in the area now known as the NMP EcoLab 100 years ago with esteemed landscape architect, Jens Jensen and continues today with Marian faculty, staff, and students, K-12 school groups, and the public.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exhibit leadership interest and potential, promote academic excellence, actively participate in the life of the campus, and help advance the mission and values of the university.
- Teach 12 load hours per semester in Evolution and Ecology, GIS, Restoration Ecology, Environmental Law and/or Environmental Science lectures and labs and develop courses that support new programs in Environmental Studies. Course releases may be granted for the right individual willing and able to serve in grant development and implementation to help address the shortage of STEM workers and teachers in Indiana.
- Contribute to curriculum development and assessment within the department.
- Mentor and advise students, student clubs, undergraduate research using the Nina Mason Pulliam EcoLab, and/or internships.
- Actively participate in faculty governance within the department and across the university.
- Be a team player, embrace a student-centered culture, and be a part of a dedicated body of faculty and staff with a positive demeanor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Environmental and Ecological Engineering, or a related field. An MS degree with significant industry experience will be considered.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of higher education and demonstrated teaching excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, collaborative, and able to work independently with colleagues throughout the university and community.
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic university in Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian is serving more than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences. The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Midwestern rankings to be named #6 Most Innovative Regional University, #15 Best Value University, and #30 Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national champion varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s Basketball Championship, the 2019 Women’s Volleyball Championship, and more than 40 USA Cycling national championships.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and a sample of scholarly work. All applications should be submitted to email@example.com.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org