Northeastern University invites applications for a Professor and Director of Life Science and Medical Research, located at our newest campus in Portland, Maine. The Roux Institute is designed as an engine of innovation, talent, and economic growth in Portland, the state of Maine, and the region. Partnership is what sets our education and research model apart. With leading companies at the table from day one, we’re together creating an agile workforce prepared to thrive in a competitive landscape powered by artificial intelligence as a force for good, and an environment for innovation in the life sciences and other high-growth sectors.
The Director of Life Science and Medical Research at the Roux Institute at Northeastern University will provide the leadership for the development, growth and sustainment of a research program that will be positioned to discover and implement significant, high impact emerging medical technologies. The Director will be responsible for interfacing with industry and end user partners to plan, develop, prototype and commercialize technologies developed by Roux investigators. The Director will be responsible for strategic development of the Life Sciences and Medicine research program in collaboration with the Roux Institute executive leadership and company partners based on creating an organization that co-locates and/or forms close collaborations between innovative researchers and companies. The Roux Institute research organization will closely interact with mission-oriented government agencies, advocacy groups and philanthropic organizations. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to, fields at the interface of machine learning and/or artificial intelligence in therapeutics, biomarkers, biomaterials, and diagnostics.
In addition to driving their own research program, the Director will coordinate a portfolio of highly matrixed collaborations in life sciences, with contributors on the Roux Institute campus in Portland ME. Contributors will include research faculty and professional research staff at the Roux Institute, faculty across the Northeastern network, and industry researchers who may be co-located at the Institute or localized within their own company. The portfolio will be connected to the collection of highly innovative University Institutes, including the newly established Institute for Experiential Artificial Intelligence.
The Director will be expected to collaborate with faculty and administration at all the Northeastern network campuses (currently Boston, Burlington, MA, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, San Francisco, Charlotte, London, and Silicon Valley). In order to bring the research from across Northeastern, the Director will become a central resource for the Institute in understanding the scope of life science and research across the entire network; therefore, an ability to communicate across a wide range of research disciplines is essential.
Key responsibilities include:
- Development and implementation of a funding strategy that leverages a combination of federal and industrial sources and marshals the faculty and research staff at the Roux Institute to respond to large scale research funding opportunities.
- Representing the Roux Institute life science and medical research portfolio to external audiences, including funders, state, local and federal government, corporate or academic partners, and potential new partners
- Internally interfacing with the life science and medical research community across the Northeastern network, in order to identify internal collaborators across the University whose work is aligned with or complements that at the Roux Institute.
- Collaboration with the Roux Institute Strategic Alliance team in identifying research partners across the US who complement the Roux portfolio and wish to engage in research in the Portland ecosystem.
- Direct oversight of a cadre of life science and medical research personnel at the Institute, and at least one research administrator.
- Central to the Roux Institute are ten Founding Partner Organizations within the Maine ecosystem and beyond; these organizations span industry, academia, and nonprofits. Thus, the Director must be a professional who can work to proactively develop deep research relationships with regional industry. The Director will display an entrepreneurial spirit to grow a research environment that is highly unique in higher education.
- The successful candidate will be appointed as a faculty member in one or more Northeastern Colleges as appropriate and will report through the College(s) in the role as faculty member. The candidate will report to the Senior Vice Provost for Portland in the role of Director of Life Science and Medicine Research.
- PhD or other terminal degree with experience level appropriate for appointment at the rank of Professor
- Demonstrated track record of scholarly achievement in interdisciplinary life science, with a commensurate research funding history.
- National prominence as a research leader in own discipline
- Entrepreneurial, energetic, and collaborative leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills across diverse audiences and settings.
- A strategic mindset.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and innovative setting.
- Candidate must have experience working independently and as a member of a team.
- Some travel may be required to regional campus(es), particularly Boston.
Please submit a cover letter of interest highlighting teaching accomplishment and relevant professional experience, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of at least three references.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/503507