Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Southern Oregon University
Position Number: F00144
The Chemistry Department in the Division of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics at Southern Oregon University (SOU) invites applications for a full-time, nine month tenure-track, Assistant Professor in Biochemistry position. Depending on the qualifications of the candidate, an Associate Professor rank may be considered. The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching biochemistry lectures and labs, as well as participating in our general chemistry lectures and labs, organic chemistry labs, student research and other departmental needs. The Chemistry Program values supportive interactions with students and the successful candidate should demonstrate the desire to teach, advise, and pursue active research with undergraduates with diverse learning styles and backgrounds. The successful candidate is expected to participate in scholarly activities including formal research whether in scholarship of discovery, scholarship of synthesis, scholarship of application or scholarship of teaching. Other responsibilities include advising, curriculum development, professional affiliations as appropriate, and other responsibilities as assigned. The successful candidate will ideally have a Ph.D. in Biochemistry or a closely related field. ABD will be considered. Postdoctoral experience and/or college level teaching experience is highly desirable.
Southern Oregon University is a public liberal arts institution of approximately 6,000 undergraduate and 500 graduate students. The surrounding area is known for cultural offerings such as the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, the Ashland International Film Festival, and the Britt Music Festival. The Rogue Valley is also renowned for outdoor activities such as hiking, snowboarding, and fishing.
SOU acknowledges the importance of supporting dual career spouses and partners in attracting and retaining a diverse and high-quality faculty, and recognizes the long-term programmatic and economic benefits to the University and the regional community. Therefore, SOU is committed to provide employment information, networking, and assistance to spouses/partners of current and prospective faculty.
- Initial appointment at the rank of Assistant professor requires a terminal degree in biochemistry or closely related field, or ABD, from an accredited institution; for appointment at the rank of associate professor, candidate cannot be ABD.
- Applicants should have at least one year of experience teaching in higher education; for appointment at the rank of associate professor, applicants must have five years experience as an assistant professor at an accredited institution(s) and have successfully earned promotion to associate.
- Applicants should provide documented evidence of teaching excellence and scholarly activities.
- Ph.D. in biochemistry or closely related field from an accredited institution.
- More than one year of teaching in higher education teaching, advising, and mentoring undergraduate and/or graduate students.
- Demonstrated desire to teach, advise, and pursue active research with undergraduates with diverse learning styles and backgrounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Each applicant is required to provide (as attachments to the online application) the following supplemental documents: (1) letter providing some detail of the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position; (2) current resume/CV; (3) teaching philosophy; (4) unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts, and (5) at least three professional references. If you are unable to attach the supplemental materials to the online application please contact Human Resources for assistance.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work additional hours and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
- Under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): -Position classification defined as “exempt” are not subject overtime
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the Oregon Revised Statues and is required to comply with the requirements set forth by the Oregon department of Human Services.
Notice to Prospective Employees
Section 485 of the Higher Education Act, and The Federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 (now referred to as the “Clery Act”),requires that prospective employees be notified of the availability of SOU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report provides the annual statistics and campus policies for the reporting of and responding to campus crimes and fires; access to campus facilities; conduct code and campus policies on use, possession and sale of drugs/alcohol; and educational/information programs to inform the campus community about campus security procedures and crime prevention.
An electronic copy of the Annual Security Report (ASR)can be accessed at the following link:
https://inside.sou.edu/assets/security/AnnualCrimeReportFinal.pdf. A physical copy of the ASR is available at no charge upon request. To request a copy please visit the Campus Public Safety Office at 382 Wightman Street, Ashland OR 97520. For more information call 541-552-6258, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must apply online at https://apptrkr.com/1884940.
Southern Oregon University is a welcoming community committed to inclusive excellence and the celebration of diversity. Without diversity, our educational process is diminished. Working together in support of our commitment to diversity, we strengthen and enrich our role as learners, educators and members of a tightly connected global community. We encourage those who share in our commitment to diversity, to join our community and we expect all our employees to demonstrate an ability and desire to create an inclusive campus community.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.