The department seeks a candidate who will serve an integral role in assisting the Geography program to formalize a new emphasis in Urban Planning and Regional Development areas of increased interest to our current and potential students while also contributing to the existing undergraduate B.A./B.S. Geography program. We seek a candidate whose research and teaching take a holistic approach to planning and planning issues and can build upon existing departmental strengths in Urban Sustainability, Human Geography, Environmental Systems, GIScience, and/or Political Ecology.
Successful candidates will have an active research agenda and maintain a strong commitment to teaching and mentoring students. Primary teaching responsibilities will include one or more urban, regional, and/or land use planning courses to help our students prepare for careers and post-graduate study in planning-related fields. In addition, successful candidates will teach a combination of introductory and advanced courses in the candidate’s area of expertise. The candidate will be expected to maintain an externally funded and internationally visible research program. The potential for a significant startup package exists.
The Department of Geography, Geology, and the Environment is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community. ISU recognizes that a diverse faculty, staff, and student body enriches the educational experiences of the entire campus and greater community. Candidates who have experience working with a diverse range of faculty, staff, and students, and who can contribute to the climate of inclusivity are especially welcomed to apply. Women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and people of color are encouraged to apply.
- A Ph.D. in Geography, Urban/Regional Planning, or another closely related field is required, but ABD candidates who defend their Ph.D. dissertation successfully before the time of appointment will be considered.
- State law mandates demonstrable oral proficiency in the English language as a requirement of this position.
Special Instructions: To ensure full consideration, please complete an online faculty application and attach the following documents to this posting:
- letter of application (applicants are encouraged to indicate the urban, regional, and/or land use planning courses they would be interested in designing and teaching at ISU)
- curriculum vitae
- statement of teaching experience and philosophy
- statement of research ~ (listed as “research agenda”)
- list of the names and e-mails/contact information for three professional references
- all collegiate level transcripts
Screening of applications begins October 15, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Additional documents from candidates may be requested.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
Proposed Start Date: 08/16/2020