The School of Health and Natural Sciences at Mercy College invites qualified candidates for a Visiting Assistant Professor of Chemistry in the Department of Natural Sciences in the School of Health and Natural Sciences at Mercy College beginning Fall 2021.
The focus of this position is on teaching excellence in Biochemistry and General Chemistry with an emphasis on applying these disciplines to biology and the health professions. Experience in integrating innovative approaches to promoting student success, such as course-based undergraduate research experiences, and developing an inclusive community in the classroom will be given preference. In addition, experience in online teaching, particularly on the successful integration of virtual labs, will also be given preference.
A willingness to work collaboratively with faculty and to mentor students from a wide range of disciplines, cultures and academic backgrounds is essential. We welcome applications from candidates with strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic team environment.
Mercy College is a nonsectarian, nonprofit New York metropolitan area institution offering over 90 undergraduate and graduate programs. The College has an enrollment of approximately 9000 students from diverse backgrounds across four campuses in Westchester County and New York City. As Mercy College proudly serves a diverse student body and is a Federally designated Hispanic-serving institution, faculty are dedicated to providing students with access to a transformative education though academic quality and robust student support.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Electronic applications are required and must include a cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information for at least three references. Candidates must apply online at https://jobs.mercy.edu. Mercy College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Experience and/or Skills Required
- A commitment to and experience in teaching biochemistry and general chemistry as well as advising a diverse population of undergraduate students is required. Experience in integrating innovative approaches to promoting student success and developing an inclusive community in the classroom will be given preference
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills are required.
- Experience working collaboratively with faculty from a wide range of disciplines, cultures and academic backgrounds is required.
- Strong computer skills required. Experience with Learning Management Systems (LMS), particularly with BlackBoard, as well as teleconferencing software, particularly Zoom and BlackBoard Collaborate, strongly preferred.
- Experience integrating virtual labs into the curriculum strongly preferred.
- Experience teaching online strongly preferred. Ability to teach online required.
- This individual must be able to teach primarily at the Dobbs Ferry campus and at the Bronx campus as needed
- Ability to provide leadership and mentorship to adjunct faculty required
- Ability to actively participate in college/school, and/or department meetings
- Ability to complete other duties as assigned
This is an opportunity to join the School of Health and Natural Sciences with 5 accredited graduate health professional programs (communication disorders, occupational therapy, nursing, physical therapy, and physician assistant studies) and undergraduate programs in biology, clinical laboratory science, communication disorders, exercise science, nursing, occupational therapy assistant (AAS degree), and veterinary technology.
Salary and rank are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicants must send a complete application consisting of: a cover letter addressing the applicants’ qualifications, curriculum vitae, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers and email contact for at least three professional references. The initial review of completed applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Strong support for faculty development and many opportunities for collaboration on teaching, clinical and research projects are available.
Education Required or Min Education Required
Ph.D. in Biochemistry or related field of chemistry required.