Located in the beautiful upstate region of South Carolina, Southern Wesleyan University (SWU) is a Christ-centered, student-focused learning community devoted to transforming lives by challenging students to be dedicated scholars and servant leaders who impact the world for Christ. Along with a vibrant, traditional undergraduate on-campus program, SWU offers online programs of study for both undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Southern Wesleyan University’s College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for an Associate Professor of Computer Science. This is a 12-month tenure-track position in Computer Information Systems within the Science Division to begin August, 2020. This position is located on campus in Central, SC. The entry level rank of the candidate will be determined by terminal degree, qualifications, and experience. The university is actively seeking to increase the number of women and minorities within its faculty.
- Teach and develop classes in the Computer Information Systems program. Courses may include Introduction to Programming, Networking, Object-Oriented Programming, Database Management, Hardware & Software Support, and other areas according to the candidate’s expertise. SWU faculty carry a 12 credit hour/semester load.
- Program coordination of on-campus and online CIS programs, including coordination of affiliate faculty teaching face-to-face, hybrid, and online computer courses.
- Program development, student learning outcomes assessment, student recruitment, and advising in the BS in Computer Information Systems program.
- Demonstrate servant-leadership by engaging in service activities within the university and the larger community.
- Serve on university committees and be actively engaged with the university community.
- A master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field is required; a Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field is preferred.
- Experience in or a desire to integrate Christian faith with the teaching and practice of the academic discipline is essential.
- Experience/interest in Software Assurance, Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, or another area complementary to SWU’s present curriculum preferred.
- Experience in academic program coordination or potential for implementation and leadership of an academic program(s) preferred.
- SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and familiar with the use of technology within the academic environment including distance learning and learning management systems, web-based programs, and PC applications, including all Microsoft Office 365 applications.
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations. To view the university’s profile, visit About SWU.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion of a criminal background
Before You Apply
Applicants should be prepared to provide written responses, as follows:
- Personal Christian testimony
- Personal ministry, church involvement or spiritual growth
- Approach to teaching
- Integration of faith and learning in your teaching
In addition to completion of the online application, be prepared to provide the following digital documents:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vita
- Unofficial transcripts
- Letters of reference (2 professional)